Friday, October 06, 2006

Casual

I greatly admire women who have perfected the art of fashionably casual. Candice, Leigh, Gail...supermodels in sweaters as far as I am concerned. This is an ongoing battle for me and a hard part of my new identity as a mother. I don't do casual well. On me, it feels sexless and shapeless. I prefer plunging necklines and high heels. I wore bodysuits long after I should have, and embraced the way they made you feel like you always had a tampon in. But these things don't mesh well when pushing strollers, or carrying toddlers. My closet is a wreck. It is a mishmash of all of "me's" -- suits and dresses for work. Sweats for the gym that I barely see. Summer clothes for a hopeful trip to Florida. Jeans that show too much butt crack when I sit on the floor with C. Shirts that fit me before I dropped a cup size.

And poor A. I look ok when I go to work. Well groomed at least. But he returns to a mascara smeared, sweats wearing, ponytailed mess. My mom was the inverse of this scenario. She worked in a bad neighborhood, and dressed for it. When she came home, in anticipation of my father, she was all black and clavicle and Chanel No.5. I need to start doing this. Unfortunately, by the end of the day, my hair literally feels like it is attacking me, and the smallest wisp across my face sends me into a frenzy.

There must be some in-between. I think it lies in the world of J. Crew. Cashmere and cable knits and suede elbow pads. And it definitely means straightening the hair. You can't wear curly and cable.

Ugh - I am already tired. Where are my sweats?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home