Saturday, September 23, 2006

An Unexpected Shout Out

Dear Port Authority Police Department of Laguardia Airport,

I am writing to thank you for locating my cellphone, recklessly abandoned at the Delta Baggage Claim. My husband spied it from across the room but in my rush to keep a squirming toddler from mounting the conveyer belt, I believed it to instead be a chewed-then-abandoned piece of blueberry bagel.

Hallucination, you ask? Well, it may have been a symptom of post traumatic stress after having to change an enormous poop in a airplane lavatory on a closed toilet seat. As my blog-crush Julie asserted at alittlepregnant.com, not all plane bathrooms are retrofitted with changing tables. I was in denial of the side effects of that fact when reading her blog entry from the comfort of my own home, but when faced with a screaming toddler, steaming load and the stewardesses suggestion that I lay a blanket down on a filthy toilet seat and get at it -- it was a whole 'nother story. My husband did do all the dirty work, all six feet three inches of him crouched down in the two foot two inch air borne porta potty, while I paced unhelpfully and gagged even more unhelpfully. My only moment of smug retailation was handing the unsoiled but well used blanket back to the stewardess who looked at me like it was on fire. Note to all flying with children - beware of Delta airlines.

Anyway, imagine my distress when I found myself to be without cellphone after rooting through all carry on bags which were instead filled with cheerios and tabloid magazines. We were in a cab because the car service never showed up - damn the seven sevens. I came home and was instructed to "dump" my bag, and mentos and crumbs went a flying. Calls to unhelpful Verizon stores and bickering with husband ensued. No, I do not want a new phone number. No, I will not pay $300 for a new phone. Why did you throw out your old phones? I so do NOT lose everything. Etc.

Then, as if by magic, someone from the airport called my mom, extracted from my contact list, I presume, and told her they had the phone. I called Lost and Found, and got repeated voicemails. I imagined my little cheapo phone in the bottom of some bin filled with orphaned luggage and liquids and gels that are no longer allowed through security. In a daring move, I pressed the number for the "Laguardia Airport Detectives" and expecting to be laughed at and then chastised for bothering them about my phone when the terror alert is at level ORANGE, the lovely detective said that he actually had my phone, sitting right there. He gave me slow directions to the police building at the airport. He wished me a nice day.

So we went to the airport, and the New Yorker in me still doubted the possibility that I would be reunited with my phone. After following the impeccable directions I entered the police building (which looked exactly as I imagined it would.) Lovely officers in blue swarmed around, and as I entered the glass doors one turned to me and said:

"What, you come to someone's house and you don't even bring any RUGELACH?"

In five minutes, I was handed my phone, with apologies for stickiness from the police tape. I could not believe it. Even harder to believe was that the officers called each other "honey".

So I thank you all, for renewing my faith in customer service, validating my affections for the NYPD. I promise to bring gooey kosher pastries next time. Who knew?

Sincerely,
Amy

6 Comments:

At 9:54 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a fabulous story in a great time of need for tales of travel redemption. Please see M.I.A. on the Redstar Perspective for more bullshit about Delta!!!

 
At 8:16 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.footballravensprostore.com/]Ravens Super Bowl Jersey[/url] emurbursofs
[url=http://www.49ersonlineofficialstore.com/frank_gore_jersey_super_bowl]Frank Gore Jersey[/url] TynckeyncBype
[url=http://www.patriotsfootballprostore.com/brandon_spikes_jersey_super_bowl]Brandon Spikes Jersey[/url] Proonseorek

 
At 3:28 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://amoxicilline.webs.com/]acheter Framox en ligne
[/url][url=http://acheter-amoxicilline.webs.com/]amoxicilline pour otite
[/url] Cofamox en ligne
acheter Axillin en ligne
acheter Bactox en ligne

 
At 8:20 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.microgiving.com/profile/ribavirin]purchase rebetol online
[/url] virazole 100 mg
ribavirin 200 mg online
order rebetol

 
At 11:10 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://longchampsoldesk.exteen.com/]sacs longchamps[/url] I posted on Facebook asking friends what they do for childcare and how much it costs. My sister read my post and became very upset because I had not yet discussed the possibility of having her watch my baby. 1. TerraCycle makes this tote bag from waste drink pouch material. Every year, billions of drink Purchase Vogue Mulberry Aston Natural Leather Messenger Bag Light Coffee for Men,latest released Mulberry bags Outlet save up 67%! pouches end up in dumpsters and landfills across America. Working with a brigade of school volunteers, TerraCycle diverts tons of waste juice pouches annually and donates 2 cents to a charity or non-profit for each pouch collected.
[url=http://longchampsoldes.blog.com/]sac longchamp moins cher[/url] If you are a big outdoors person and you have someone that also shares that interest you probably already or plan to spend a lot of days and nights camping, hiking, backpacking and doing other outdoorsy stuff. A good sleeping bag for two The online store to buy replica Mulberry Women's Bayswater Leather Satchel Brown Bag with 100% satisfaction of top most designer. Sold replica handbags of Mulberry and many more designers. is going to come in handy for those nights out on the trail. You're going to want something that is of high quality, but won't break the bank..
[url=http://longchamppliagea.busythumbs.com/]sac longchamps[/url] Are Discount Mulberry Outlet Oversized Alexa Leather Satchel Blue Bag for you is so contagious you looking for Marc Jacobs quilted handbags? These handbags from this famous designer would work well not only to hold your purse and shades, you could also probably fit in your cosmetic case and several other small items within these bags. Marc Jacobs is well-known as a designer that emphasizes on quality and style above everything else, and you would find the same with the quilted handbags from this designer. Nevertheless remember that handbags from this outstanding designer do not come cheap, thus keep aside a budget for this purchase if you are planning to invest in Marc Jacobs handbags.. Kors was born Karl Anderson, Jr. in Long Island, New York, the son of Joan Hamburger Anderson Kors Krystosek, a former model. Kors's mother is Jewish and he had a Bar Mitzvah.

 
At 8:52 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very good information
Simply Shine
Between us speaking, I would go another by.
I think, that you commit an error. Let's discuss.
I recommend to you to look in google.com

[url=http://www.shenenmaoyitt.sitew.us/#Page_1.A][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://www.shenenmaoyik.sitew.us/#Page_1.A][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://cheapoutletbag2.tumblr.com/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://cheapbagmk2.blogbaker.com/2013/01/18/yoga-bags-main-characteristics-and-significance][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://mvpmichaelkorsoutlet2.manifo.com/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home