Sunday, September 03, 2006

Don't leave a sista hanging

Ok, I have to vent for a moment.

I have worked very hard for very long (12 months actually), to be one of those moms whose dipaer bag is always filled appropriately. Note that I said appropraitely, not organized. Regardless, sometimes I slip up. Wipes dried up, or I am out of diaper cream. And it's not just me. Yesterday at Barnes and Noble (no kissing incident, don't worry) I watched a woman realize that her son had just taken a huge poop and she had neither a diaper nor a wipe. He was about C's size, so A whispered to me, "you should give her some stuff". And I did. She was so grateful. I even lent her the changing pad so she would not need to use B and N's grimy ground as a surface for her toddler's tushie.

I thought I paid it forward.

Until today, when my clearly famished kid went lunging for another's sandwich. I loudly said, "I am sorry C, but mommy forgot a snack". And I watched the kid's mom smile as she packed up her extra sandwiches. Would it kill you to offer one up as my child is kicking and screaming as I lead her away from the alluring snack??? I find that nannys are the first to share a cheese-cracker pack, or some veggie booty. Not so much the upper east side moms.

So next time you see a mom-in-need, lend her a hand. Or at least some goddamned Purell.