Saturday, November 11, 2006

Happiness Is

When I was young, there was a book about happiness called "Happiness Is".. It was a Peanuts characters book where each character would define happiness. I remember Charlie Brown said that "Happiness is sharing a pencil". I happen to hate pencils -- their impermanance, their inability to create a good solid mark, but, to each his own. My third grade teacher asked us to develop our own Happiness Is book. On one of the pages I wrote, "Happiness is getting to kiss a boy that you like", which I am sure was inspired by Andrew, the boy I liked in third grade. My mother thought it was hilarious, and I was immediately embarassed and made her swear not to show anyone the book. Of course, she proudly showed it to a friend and I was devastated and cried behind a closed door, filled with humiliation.

I think that there was a spin-off book entitled, "Love Is". So today, I can safely say, after nearly a month of Chloe capturing every virus under the sun, Love is allowing your daughter to vomit all over you, four times in an hour. When the disgusting nature of the event overwhelms you, and you start to vomit yourself, you listen to your husband who is screaming "hold it in, hold it in!" because your dry heaves are frightening the baby.

Love is also getting into the shower, the three of you, covered in goop. When everyone is clean and slippery, and the shower threesome you may have once imagined is anything but. Love is this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home